S.A.M.S.  1824

Ozark Highlanders



Our membership includes individuals throughout the United States and overseas. 

In addition to your membership in SAMS, you can join a Post if there is one in your local area.  Please note that Posts usually require additional membership fees. 

All applications for membership are to be submitted to the National Adjutant on the official application form (located at www.s-a-m-s.org, under membership) accompanied by the required documentation of service.    Applications or inquiries about membership should be addressed to the National Adjutant at:

Jo Lawrence

National Adjutant, Scottish-American Military Society
140 Ghormley Ave
Oakland, CA 94603

Phone:  510-613-3284                                                                                                                                                                              Email:  [email protected]

Membership is open to honorably discharged veterans or active duty or reserve military persons who have served or are serving with any branch of the US Armed Forces.    Membership is open to:

  •  Present or former Regular or Reserve members of the US Armed Forces.
    •  Individuals who have been discharged or released from duty must not have received a less than honorable discharge.
  •  Cadets of any of the Armed Service Academies or college level ROTC
  •  Spouses, widows, or widowers of any of veterans or Service Academy/ROTC cadets.
  •  Members of the British Commonwealth Armed Forces

Honorary life memberships are awarded to members who have been awarded the Medal of Honor. 


Application Form

For your convenience, you may view a printable version of the application form  (located at www.s-a-m-s.org, under membership) in Adobe PDF format. Send the completed form, supporting documents and fee to:

Jo Lawrence

National Adjutant, Scottish-American Military Society
140 Ghormley Ave
Oakland, CA 94603
Phone:  510-613-3284
Email: [email protected]


The required documentation is a copy of a DD214 or NGB22 to prove to the I.R.S. that you are a prior serviceman within the meaning of Section 501(c)(19) I.R.C. and Section 170(c)(3) I.R.C.  If no DD214, then something equivalent; i.e., a copy of any published orders, which lists you as a member of a unit.  Please make  sure they are readable.

Most importantly: list the inclusive dates of your active service; i.e., the day/month/year you joined and the day/month/year you were separated or discharged.    Regular membership dues to join are $35.00; after the first year, renewals are $35.00.

  • Free Life Membership for Medal of Honor Recipients.
    Free Life Membership for World War II Veterans
    Free Life Membership for Former Prisoners of War (POW)

  • World War II veterans who were awarded one of the following medals:
  • American Campaign Medal
  • European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
  • Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

Post membership requires membership in the national organization first but posts are where the fun usually is.


Any two (2) regular members, in good standing, who are past or present members of the Armed Forces of the United States who also happen to be spouses living in the same household will have their combined Annual Dues reduced by twenty-five percent (25%).    In addition, this household will receive only one Patriot.

Post members send all dues and documents to National Adjutant and a copy of documents to your Post.
All Members-At-Large mail all dues and documents to the National Adjutant.

For local application use Contact Me